Thursday 10 November 2011

Juicy Fruity

Well it was a double whammy for me this week. My tutor asked us to bring in fruit & veg for college to experiment with lighting and composition in the studio AND the photography project group I am in set the task for "Strange Fruit", of which I have to upload one image.

So I went along to Tesco and I really wanted a dragon fruit but couldn't find one so practically ended up with half the fresh fruit there!

I'll be honest, photographing fruit didn't exactly get me excited but I knew there was a reason behind it and that was on lighting etc. Give me people, street photography and pretty buildings any day! We had a few things to play with, I started on the product table and began arranging my fruit like some sort of florist! I lit the table underneath....


Then I tried to go a little more minimalist with a back-light to enhance the straw like coconut...


I was getting a little peckish by now, no dinner as I go straight to college from work so was happily nibbling away at the pomegranate whilst pondering my next move! I went for a spot of Macro on the yummy pomegranate...


I moved over to the OHP (over head projector) to have a play on there with light and fruit. I can't actually remember the name of these little babies, I do remember them not tasting as nice as they looked!


Venturing into the dark room for my first time I came across two of my class mates playing around with fruit for photograms... lots of fun and very therapeutic in the dark room, chatting away swishing photos in trays. We were laying the fruit/veg on top of a clear wallet that was placed on the photographic paper, exposing the light then developing. Can you guess what has been used in this Photogram...



And my submission for "Strange Fruit" into my project group was this little number...
"Well you wouldn't want it in your fruit salad would you?"